Sukhova Olga Aleksandrovna, Doctor of historical sciences, professor, deputy head of sub-department of Russian history, local studies and history teaching technique, Penza State University (40 Krasnaya street, Penza, Russia), firstname.lastname@example.org
Background. Transformation of the system of international relations in the modern era requires historical analysis of the interaction between society and power in a military conflict. Studying the history of the First World War, that became a catalyst for the revolutionary process and the collapse of the state in Russia, reveals the causality of this process. The aim of the work is to analyze the historiography of the study of perception and behavior of the Russian peasantry in terms of mobilization campaigns during the First World War.
Materials and methods. Implementation of research tasks was achieved through the usage of documents derived from the collection of the Central State Archives of Samara region, the State Archives of Saratov region , the State Archives of Penza region, as well as through the analysis of historiographical sources on the issue. Methodological potential includes basic principles of scientific knowledge – historicism and objectivity, hermeneutics as a method of interpreting the text, the historical and situational method that involves assessing the events and phenomena based on the real concrete historical situation, which to a certain extent abstracts researchers from the influence of stereotypes and methodological stamps. The author also applied an interdisciplinary synthesis method, in particular, she used the achievements of social psychology.
Results. The article reviewed the problem of the peasantry participation in mobilization campaigns of the World War I in the national historiography. The author analyzed the literature in historical retrospection. She noted the specificity of the scientific interpretations in a particular time interval. The methods of social psychology were proved to be efficient to solve the research problems. The article presents the features of perception and behavior of the Russian peasantry in the era of the First World War.
Conclusions. Analysis of the historiography of the problem revealed the need for a cultural-anthropological approach to the study of the history of the First World War. Many contradictions of research practice can be resolved through a comprehensive analysis of the mentality of the mass consciousness and mass behavior, including on the question of the peasantry participation in mobilization campaigns of 1914–1917.
1. Lukomskiy A. S. Voprosy istorii [Historical problems]. 2001, no. 1–12.
2. Golovin N. N. Voennye usiliya Rossii v Pervoy mirovoy voyne [Military efforts of Russia in the World War I]. Parizh, 1932, vol. 2, 256 p.
3. Golovin N. N. Voennaya mysl' v izgnanii. Rossiyskiy voennyy sbornik [Military thoughts inexile. Russian military collection]. Moscow: Voennyy universitet, Russkiy put', 1999, iss. 16, pp. 71–113. Available at: www.rp-net.ru (accessed 10 April 2014).
4. Simanskiy P. N. Voyna i revolyutsiya [War and revolution]. 1926, no. 1/2, pp. 130–140. Available at: http://www.grwar.ru/library/Simansky/SM_000.html (accessed 10 April 2014).
5. Dobrorol'skiy S. K. Mobilizatsiya russkoy armii v 1914 godu. Podgotovka i vypolnenie. Po materialam Voenno-istoricheskogo arkhiva [Mobilization of the Russian army in 1914. Preparation and execution]. Moscow, 1929, 157 p.
6. Anfimov A. M. Rossiyskaya derevnya v gody pervoy mirovoy voyny (1914 – fevral' 1917) [Russian village during WWI (1914 – February 1917)]. Moscow: Sotsekgiz, 1962, 384 p.
7. Berkevich A. B. Istoricheskie zapiski [Historical notes]. Moscow, 1947, vol. 23, pp. 3–45.
8. Grebnev A. M. Agrarnye otnosheniya v Penzenskoy gubernii mezhdu pervoy i vtoroy burzhuazno-demokraticheskimi revolyutsiyami v Rossii [Agrarian relations in Penza region between the first and the second bourgeois-democratic revolutions in Russia]. Penza, 1959, 147 p.
9. Porshneva O. S. Mentalitet i sotsial'noe povedenie rabochikh, krest'yan i soldat Rossii v period Pervoy mirovoy voyny (1914 – mart 1918 g.) [Mentality and social behavior of workers, peasants and soldiers in Russia during the WWI (1914 – March 1918)]. Ekaterinburg, 2000, 415 p.
10. Porshneva O. S. Rossiyskaya istoriya [Russian history]. 2010, no. 2, pp. 185–199.
11. Astashov A. B. Otechestvennaya istoriya [National history]. 2003, no. 2, pp. 72–85.
12. Karnishin V. Yu. Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedeniy. Povolzhskiy region. Gumanitarnye nauki [University proceedings. Volga region. Humanities]. 2008, no. 1, pp. 12–19.
13. Semenova E. Yu. Vestnik MGOU. Seriya «Istoriya i politicheskie nauki» [Bulletin of MSOU. Series «History and political sciences»]. 2011, no. 2, pp. 131–136.
14. Kholodov V. A. Uchenye zapiski Orlovskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriya «Gumanitarnye i sotsial'nye nauki» [Scientific notes of Orel State University. Series «Humanities and social sciences»]. 2010, no. 3–1, pp. 123–131.
15. Shaypak L. A. Vestnik Voennogo universiteta [Bulletin of Military University]. 2007, no. 1 (9), pp. 94–95.
16. Posadskiy A. V. Krest'yanstvo vo vseobshchey mobilizatsii armii i flota 1914 goda (po materialam Saratovskoy gubernii) [Peasantry in the nation-wide mobilization of army and fleet of 1914 (by the materials of Saratov region)]. Saratov: Izd-vo Sarat. un-ta, 2002, 160 p.
17. Gosudarstvennyy arkhiv Saratovskoy oblasti (GASO) [State Archives of Saratov region]. F. 1. Op. 1.
18. Fedorchenko S. Narod na voyne [People at war]. Moscow, 1990, 399 p.
19. Tsentral'nyy gosudarstvennyy arkhiv Samarskoy oblasti (TsGASO) [Central State Archives of Samara region]. F. 468. Op. 1.
20. Mironov B. N. Otechestvennaya istoriya [National history]. 1998, no. 1, pp. 24–42.
21. Gosudarstvennyy arkhiv Penzenskoy oblasti (GAPO) [State Archives of Penza region]. F. 5. Op. 1.